Friday, March 26, 2010

The Contributing Work of Justin Engel

A few days ago Justin Engel sent me this image that he created in Arlington National Cemetery on a recent trip he took to the DC area. When I pulled the picture up in front of me I could see and feel the artistic quality and historical human emotional transfer. Justin gave me permission to post his composition on my blog and as well answered a few questions that I had about its creation:

1. Where & when exactly were you in Arlington National Cemetery? Could you tell us what we are looking at?

I was in Arlington/DC on March 5, 2010. I went with the UNCC School of Architecture on a 5 day trip to view architecture in Charlottesville @ UVA, Arlington, and DC. This particular image is one that captures a few rows of headstones of those who have sacrificed their lives for us with a large tree in the background that to me represents life.

2. Do you have exposure numbers? -Oh wait, I see them in the digital tray...

Nikon D60 1/250th of a second at F8/film speed 100

3. Can you tell me something in regards to any emotional transfer that you were feeling?

When visiting ANC it was a very humbling experience. I felt a deep sense of gratitude towards those that surrounded me. It was amazing to look around me and think that there were generations upon generations upon generations of people that sacrificed their lives for you and I to live freely. When I came to the point where I captured the photograph I found it very moving to see this great strong tree which seemed to portray the spirits of those whom I was surrounded by; strong, valiant, and in a way to me still alive.

Justin has entered this image in an online contest at JPG Magazine in the new "Heroes" photo challenge. If he receives enough votes his picture may go to print. Click here to give him your vote!

Good work Justin, keep it up!

3 comments:

Doug said...

not that i'm the least bit partial, but awesome work!

Billy Fehr said...

agreed

jeff said...

Nice. I like the bare branch background.