Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Follow Up-WE DID NOT HAVE A WHITE CHRISTMAS!

On the day after Christmas, in the evening, I walked out of the house with Zoo dummy corded to my waist with a seven foot leather strap choke lead.  We were gone in the five inch plus and drift for just under three hours.  It really seemed winter for that time.  The air was cold, around freezing and the sky was trying hard to be clear of clouds. Towards the west I could see breaks in the dark overcast and the sky behind was turning not only dark blue, but as well shades of pink, red and almost turquoise.  Through the holes in the clouds only, the sky appeared on fire.  Hardly any notice of the auto viper, everyone must have been hunkered down.  Of the amazing things that I met and passed, the one that was most noticeable was the lack of folks outside.  In the picture below you will see what Christmas might look like under a Caesium(CS) explosion sky.  More candy canes, they are everywhere.  An anonymous angel left one dangling from my Answer Alumilite handle bars while I was in one of the buildings on Thursday right before Christmas Break.   Candy canes, where does such a strange shaped and minty tasting treat come from anyways?
During my travels today I over heard several conversations about the magic of our 'white' Christmas.  At one point someone directly asked me, "What did you think of our 'white' Christmas?"  After instantaneously considering giving the standard expected answer, I went with my instinct and shot back, "Technically, I do not think that the North American Meteorological School of Science(if there is actually one) would consider supporting the claim that Charlotte had a 'white' Christmas. Basically I explained to my questioner that I understood that the qualifying factors to be able to claim 'white' Christmas status were as follows:  The landscape has to be covered with one inch or more of snow in the entire county in which you dwell by midnight Christmas Day.  From my twelve o'clock at night perspective on Jesus' birthday out here east of town, the landscape in spots still had just a dusting, maybe a quarter inch.  I went on for a few minutes defending my stance that we did not have a 'white' Christmas at all, by explaining that from the looks of the radar that night south east Charlotte may have had even less snow than the rest of the county at that time.  When I finished pretty much proving by the books that our Christmas was far from 'white', I realized that I had lost the man who had asked the original question to begin with minutes and sentences ago.  He finally spoke, never getting up from his chair, "So, we didn't have a 'white' Christmas, did we?"  All I could do was nod in affirmation as I left the room with two more jobs than I had before walking in.

No comments: