Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Analysis of a Crash on Commute

During a recent in bound Stay Alive on the Single Track section dubbed the Eastland Ridge I broke traction in a soft but important right then left hand turn around a tree. I love this little chicane turn in the dirt around the pin oak, every time I am on it I try to hit the turns with speed, cyclo cross style. When I turned right it seemed that both wheels broke almost instantly, the front first then the rear right behind it sending me over the wall. I was not able to bring it back around left to keep me on the trail. As I was headed of off the track to the right and down the steep grassy slope I realized I was not going to be able to ride it all the way out so I bailed off of the bike to the left and arrested my fall by grabbing a handful of grass. For a split second when the motion stopped I was slightly scared, then I laughed and made the following photo document.

Reverse angle and the torn earth.
From the front you can see the importance of making the right and left hand turn without going through it. The bike is exactly where it came to a stop without me on it.
At first when I went over I thought I would be able to ride it out all the way to the asphalt bottoms.
Instantly that became a bad idea so I hit the ejection switch and hoped for the best.

3 comments:

Eric Wever / Pisgah Productions said...

I can hear you laughing at your fortune/misfortune...

HAWWWWWW Ho Ho Ho Ho!


Stay Alive!

Jesse said...

heh wish I was there for this one... nice

Billy Fehr said...

Eric,
Exactly.
Dude,
Thanks.